The marvellous Steven Lamb from River Cottage teams up with Abel & Cole to create this delicious squid recipe.
Cook this for friends or a loved one and you'll score some serious foodie points.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 5 mins
150g fresh squid
A gloss of chilli or olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
A pinch of chilli powder (optional)
A squeeze of lemon
1. Give your squid a rinse. On each squid you’ll see a little seam. Cut along this or just make a slice anywhere along the length of the fish to open it up like a book.
2. Very lightly score a crisscross pattern into one side of the fish – doesn’t really matter which side but we went for the outside of the fish.
3. Get a griddle or frying pan smoking hot. Gloss the squid with a little oil. Place in the smoking hot pan. Griddle on both sides till it picks up a few nice charred bits – not too many, mind.
4. Gloss with a little chilli oil or use olive oil and a pinch of chilli (or do both if you like it hot).
5. Season well. Remove from the pan. Give it a good kiss of lemon. Leave whole or slice in little rings.
6. Most importantly: eat!
Recipe from the responsibly sourced fish and seafood range at Abel & Cole, in partnership with the Marine Conservation Society.