Sponsored by Michael Paul Holidays
Words: Kate Thompson
When you take your dog on holiday the whole family gets to have fun together. Imagine your beloved pet happily running down a stretch of golden sand or by your side for coastal walks with spectacular views. It’s a great reason to holiday in the UK, and while it can cost a little extra, pet-friendly holiday homes and dog-friendly hotels are still a lot less pricey than kennels.
If you’re planning to take your dog away, here are three of the best pet-friendly beaches with the closest dog-friendly holiday homes – plus our expert holiday tips to ensure a good time is had by all!
Crantock Beach with its gorgeous golden sand and turquoise water is dog-friendly all year round. Cornwall’s micro-climate means it’s sometimes hotter than the Med so do be careful of little paws on the hot ground during heatwaves. Look out for the wildlife in the dune grasses. And if you’re looking for some dog-friendly hotels in Cornwall, click here.
Dunwich Beach is made of shingle, dog-friendly all-year-round and has amazing views. Enjoy picturesque walks in the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and visit nearby Dunwich Museum to discover how Dunwich came to be called the lost city of England.
Holkham Beach is a three-mile stretch of fine golden sand with pine trees and dunes. A recent winner of the Kennel Club’s best beach award, it’s dog-friendly all year round. Visit nearby Holkham Nature Reserve for wonderful walks and to see the best of the area’s wildlife.
Dog-Friendly Holiday Tips
- Take as many doggy home comforts as you can, including favourite bedding, toys and treats
- Check your holiday home or dog-friendly hotel has everything else your pet needs, like food and water bowls
- Make a note of the nearest vet and an out of hours contact just for peace of mind
- Even if your dog is microchipped, an identity tag on their collar is a good idea in case they decide to wander off
- Pack a torch (or download a free flashlight app on your phone) for late-night dog walks
- Look up dog-friendly pubs and cafes near to where you will be staying so you can plan your day trips
Check out more places to stay by the sea here.